We've moved to our new location. We are located on the north side of the second floor in the newly constructed Student Success Center.
Peer tutoring services are offered free of charge to currently enrolled GC students. Students are eligible to receive peer tutoring for any course in which they are currently enrolled. Tutoring Services strives to have qualified tutors for all college programs.*
How to request a tutor - Tutor Request Forms are available at the Main Campus Testing/Tutoring Center (SC115), the South Campus Success Center (B121), or at the link provided below. Students should indicate on the form the days/times they are available to attend tutoring. Based on available times of peer tutors and students, tutoring sessions will be scheduled as soon as possible after requests are submitted.
Tutoring sessions for each course are scheduled for one hour/week on the same day at the same time each week.
- At the Main Campus in Denison, all sessions are held in the Testing/Tutoring Center during regularly scheduled hours unless resources in another campus facility are needed.
- At the South Campus, sessions are held in the Success Center during regularly scheduled hours unless resources in another campus facility are needed.
Call the Tutoring Center at 903-463-8751 if unable to attend a scheduled tutoring session. Voice mail is available at all times. Failure to provide notice of an absence results in the loss of peer tutoring services for the remainder of the semester.
*Tutoring Services cannot be held responsible if, after a reasonable search, no qualified tutor is available. For help with math and to request a math tutor, contact the Math Hub Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org or call 903-463-8663.
Tutoring Center Contact Information
6101 Grayson Drive, Hwy 691
Denison, TX 75020
1455 West Van Alstyne Parkway
Van Alstyne, TX 75495
Interested in becoming a Tutor? Want to impress future employers?
Download the application and submit to the tutoring coordinator.
Working as a tutor and achieving tutor certification look good on a résumé and impresses future employers. Tutor certification is accepted by CRLA tutoring programs at other colleges and universities.
- Tutors must have a U.S. social security card issued by the Social Security Administration. Documents to establish identity are also required.
- Applicants are eligible to become a tutor after earning a GPA of 3.0 at Grayson College (GC) and earning a GPA of 4.0 in any course to be tutored.
- Applicants should be TSI complete in reading, writing, and math.
- To be considered for employment as a tutor, a faculty recommendation is needed. This should be a professor who has knowledge of the applicant's skill level in the course/s the applicant will tutor. Interested applicants should list a GC faculty member on the application form. The Tutoring Coordinator will follow up with faculty.
- Tutors are required to participate in training sessions, which are an integral part of GC's tutor certification program. GC's tutoring program is certified by a nationally recognized organization, College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
- Tutoring services are scheduled around tutor/tutee class schedules each semester. Based on available times of tutors and tutees, sessions are scheduled during hours when the Testing Center/Tutoring Center is open. Hours of work cannot exceed 17 hours per week. Tutors should be available for appointments a minimum of 3 hours per week.