Skip to main content

Childcare and Transportation Assistance


The Childcare and Transportation Assistance program offers support and assistance to technical students to accomplish their career goals. It  is designed to help you overcome barriers, such as child care and transportation costs, for the successful completion of your educational goals. If you are eligible, you will receive monetary assistance for your child care  or  transportation expenses.

Eligibility Requirements

  1. Must be pursuing a technical certificate or associate of applied science degree ( approved certificates and degrees)
  2. Must receive the Pell award
  3. Must be enrolled in 9+ hours each term to be considered (clinical hours will count toward this requirement)
  4. Must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher

Application Process

At this time, all funds for 2022-2023 have been expended. If additional funds become available over the course of the spring 2023 semester, we will email a notification to students awarded in fall 2022.

Students may apply at any time. Assistance awards are determined for the term on the census date. Students are notified by email of their award status, and the award is mailed to the student’s mailing address (as noted on their assistance application).

Steps to Apply

  1. Complete the application for assistance.
  2. Provide required documentation with your application, including an image of your Pell award. (Pell status may be viewed and printed from your MyViking Student Planner. Please provide a screenshot or scanned image of the award amount, which also shows your name in the same image.)
  3. If applying for child care assistance, you must fully complete the child care portion of the application and authorize your child care facility to provide verification.
  4. If applying for child care assistance, please provide a birth certificate for each child you claim in your application.

Incomplete applications will not be considered.

Applications will not be processed until all required documentation is received.

For more information:

Carissa Winstead
Instructional Services Data Coordinator
winsteadc [at] grayson [dot] edu


  • Must be enrolled in 9+ hours each term to be considered (Clinical hours will count toward this requirement.)

  • Applications are accepted year-round. Eligible applicants will be considered in the order applications are received, as funds are available.

  • Please allow 7-14 business days for processing.

  • No. Once you have applied for any Fall through Spring semester, you will be considered for funding for all following semesters of the same school year. (Summer assistance is limited and based on availability of funds.)

    Prior to the start of the Fall semester of each new school year, please re-apply.

  • Occasionally, the number of applications exceeds the amount of funding available; awards are contingent on the availability of funds.

    Please contact Carissa Winstead if you have questions regarding your application.

  • No, however, you must use a registered or licensed childcare provider.

  • No, the Perkins assistance program only pays for one type of assistance for the duration of the school year you apply for. For additional resources, please review Community and Other Support Resources at the bottom of this webpage. For immediate help with receiving additional resources, please contact Barbara Malone at maloneb [at] grayson [dot] edu.

Community and Other Support Resources

Workforce Solutions Texoma

Offers child care assistance to help low-income families pay for childcare so they can go to work, attend an educational program or a vocational training program. The funds used to pay for childcare assistance are federal Child Care and Development Funds from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Customers receiving child care assistance must meet federal, state and local guidelines in order to qualify for childcare assistance.

Workforce Solutions Texoma operates the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) which may be able to help pay for tuition, books, and travel for up to two years. Eligible individuals include employees who are laid off or trade affected displaced homemakers, and income-eligible adults and youth.

Workforce Solutions Texoma Training Orientation

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR)

Texas Workforce Solutions-Vocational Rehabilitation Division- The Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) program provides services for people with disabilities to help them prepare for, obtain, retain or advance in employment.

Texas Workforce Solutions-Denison Vocational Rehabilitation Office
2415 S. Austin, Suite 105,
Denison, TX 75020
Phone: 903-463-99997 and ask to speak to the Counselor of the Day

Texoma Council of Governments (TCOG)

The Client Services program helps income-eligible households with certain education and employment costs. Assistance is intended as adjunct support for students seeking to gain or improve their employment in order to transition their households out of poverty.

Some of the services available to eligible persons are financial assistance including books, tools, testing fees, supplies, child care and utility assistance. These services are determined on a case-by-case basis depending on documented need and funding availability.
For additional information about services, or to set an appointment for an application:

Texoma Council of Governments
1117 Gallagher, Suite 300
Sherman TX 75090