Career Exploration and Planning
Making decisions about your college major and career can be overwhelming. Follow this step-by-step process to clarify your goals and make an informed decision.
STEP 1: Self-Discovery
Self-awareness will help you reach your career goals. Consider these questions:
- What special skills and abilities do you have?
- What motivates and excites you?
- What work environment is most appealing to you? Explore O`Net Career Clusters.
- What are your challenges?
STEP 2: Assess Yourself
Learn which careers will be most satisfying for you by assessing your personality, interests and values before exploring different careers. Explore the free career assessment below:
STEP 3: Explore Career Options
Take time to investigate the world of work. Make a list of careers that interest you and research them online and by talking with others. Some important points to consider:
- Nature of the work
- Education, training, and/or certification
- Work environment
- Job market – current and future
- Related careers
Career Exploration Links:
- Jung Typology Indicator
- My Next Move
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Reality Check
- Teacher Certification Degrees
- What Can I do With This Major?
- Get My Future
- Discover Health Admin Careers
- Job Search Help for Ex-Offenders
Grayson College Career Services provides career advising, guidance, and testing for students and alumni who need assistance in career decision-making. Your GC career specialist is available to help you:
Identify interests and skills to assist in selecting a college major and a career choice
Acquire information on learning styles, study skills, time management
Prepare for graduation and/or transfer to another school
Gain credit for experience or credit by exam
Select courses and plan an academic program
For further assistance with your career exploration and planning, please schedule an appointment with a career counselor.
Director of Counseling, Licensed Professional Counselor/Career Advisor
Denison, TX 75020