Welcome to Grayson College!
This Veterans Packet provides you with the information you need to begin using your Veteran Education Benefits at Grayson College. Please read through the information provided to make your transition to college a smooth one.
Please complete and return all attached paperwork to the Veterans Affairs office located in the Bridge between the Library and Student Center.
GRAYSON COLLEGE VETERANS AFFAIRS CONTACT INFORMATION
Veterans Affairs Office Student Navigator
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR NEW STUDENTS
- Apply for Admission at http://grayson.edu
- Submit a copy of your High School Transcript or GED.
- Submit proof of Meningitis Vaccination.
- Visit GC Portal to complete the following:
- Apply for Financial Aid and scholarships
- Register for College 101
- Check with VA office for testing exemptions and/ or requirements. Scores or exemptions are required prior to signing up for classes
- Provide copies of all transcripts if you have attended any other institution(s). Request that your transcript(s) be evaluated and credit will be awarded, where applicable>
- Meet with Veterans Advisor (Counseling Office): Select courses. Register for classes
- Final Steps: Pay tuition and fees (online or Business Office)
- Obtain Student ID (Life Center)
In order to receive education benefits under the New Post 9/11 or other Montgomery GI Bill Programs students must complete an application. Once this application is processed the Veterans Administration Office notifies each applicant by mail whether they qualify for benefits or not.
A “Certificate of Eligibility” is sent to those students who do qualify. This certificate tells the veteran how many months of entitlement they will receive and when their benefits expire. Students must bring a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility to the school in order to receive monthly benefit amounts.
HOW TO APPLY FOR BENEFITS ONLINE
- Go to: www.ebenefits.va.gov
- Click: Apply for Benefits (top left corner)
- Click: Launch VONAPP and apply for benefits
- Complete: VONAPP or Veterans Online Application
- Once you submit your application we recommend that you print a copy for your records; doing so may save you time and money!
If you do not have the capability to apply online, you can visit the Veterans Affairs office located in the Bridge. A Student Navigator will assist you with your application. Or you may call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to have a form mailed to you.
VOCATIONAL REHAB EDUCATIONAL BENEFITS
Students who feel they qualify for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services can go to the website: http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/ to review eligibility guidelines. Veterans should apply online as indicated above or call 800-827-1000 to set up an appointment with a counselor.
- DD-214 – Member 4 - Report of Separation
- Request a copy of DD-214 at: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/
- Military Transcripts – see below
- Official College Transcripts from ALL prior colleges
- Copy of Application for Benefits and/or
- Copy of Certificate of Eligibility
- Request duplicate copies at the Department of Veteran Affairs Education Call Center 1-888-442-4551
ARMY - NAVY - MARINE CORPS - COAST GUARD:
Joint Service Transcript (JST) - https://jst.doded.mil/smart/dodMandatoryBanner.do
- If you are prior Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy and do not have access to a Common Access Card (CAC) reader, then REGISTER for a JST account first.
- Once registered Log into the JST system.
- Click on the 'Transcripts' tab at the top of the page and then click the'Official Transcript Request' tab.
- Type in Grayson College and click 'search' or hit the enter key.
- On the order page verify all information is correct and chose a delivery method:
Online Delivery - You can order as many transcripts as needed for on-line delivery. Transcripts ordered by will be delivered via the web on the next business day.
Mail - Only 2 transcripts within 30 days can be ordered due to production and postage costs. Hard copies will be mailed on the next business day.
Community College of the Air Force Transcript – CCAF
To request official transcript - go to: https://www.credentials-inc.com/tplus/?ALUMTRO012308
Army and National Guard:
E-Mail : usarmy.knox.hrc.mbx.tagd- firstname.lastname@example.org
Toll Free: 1-888-276-9472
Official Transcript Request Form (Army)
Coast Guard USCG Institute
Fax: (405) 954-7249
JST Technology Operations Center
Fax: Comm: (850) 452-1909
Virtual Education Center (VEC)
Fax: Comm: (757) 492-5095
Toll Free: 1-877-838-1659
The ACE Military Guide for Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services can be found on the website: http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/Military-Guide-Online.aspx
Grayson College is participating in a state wide program to award college credit for military training in six program areas. If you are interested in any of the programs listed below, please contact the College Credit for Heroes staff located in the Veterans Affairs office in the Student Life Center Bridge.
College Credit for Heroes Programs at Grayson College:
Electrical Technology; OSHA Safety Certification; Machining; Industrial Maintenance; Heating and Air Conditioning Technology; Welding Technology
Also, you can visit www.collegecreditforheroes.org to request an official evaluation of your military training.