STEPS TO RECEIVING VETERAN'S BENEFITS
WHILE ENROLLED AT GRAYSON COLLEGE
Monday & Tuesday: 1 - 6
Wednesday & Thursday 1 - 4
1). Unsure of eligibility for benefits?
- Call the VA at 1-800-827-1000 or 1-888-442-4551
2). Complete the On-Line
Application (VONAPP) at https://www.gibill.va.gov
- Click "Apply for Benefits" at the bottom of the page
- Click "Apply On-Line"
- Click "Launch VONAPP"
- Complete VONAPP
- Before sending, print 2 copies of VONAPP
- One copy for your file
- Present one copy to GC Certifying Official
- Submit VONAPP to the VA
3). Submit other required documents to GC VA Certifying
- Member copy 4 of DD214
- Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
- Ch 1607 recipients - copy of orders or DD214
- Copy of "kicker contract" (if applicable)
- Copy of military transcript
To receive educational benefits, the courses you take must be on
your degree plan. You should speak with the GC Certifying Official
at least once per semester to ensure that you are taking the
appropriate courses or you may monitor your progress toward
graduation by running a degree audit in Campus Connect. You must
request that your benefits be certified each semester either by
email or in person with the GC Certifying Official.
To maintain your eligibility:
- You must follow a VA approved degree or certificate plan of
study. Non-credit classes do not qualify.
- Must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 as listed under the
Scholastic Standards for Academic Probation and Suspension as found
in the GC catalog. A GPA below a 2.0 for the second long semester
will be reported to the VA.
- Courses may be claimed for pay only one time whether taken at
GC or transferred from another institution.
- Only courses specifically listed on a degree plan may be
certified for payment. Courses taken for a student's own personal
enrichment will not be eligible for payment.
- Course substitution forms must be processed and approved by the
Division Dean before the substituted course is claimed for
- Veterans and other eligible persons can receive pay for
remedial/developmental classes taken when a need can be shown (THEA
or COMPAS scores). The pay received is taken from the total
- If you change your major you must submit a change of major form
to the GC records office and change your major electronically with
the VA by going to the VONAPP and completing Form 22-1995 if you
are a veteran or Form 22-5495 if you are a dependent/spouse of an
NOTE: The certification process takes
several weeks. Actual payment may take 2 to 3 months - you must
make adequate arrangements to cover cost. Once enrolled maintain
close contact with the VA Certifying Official. All class schedule
changes must be reported - drop/adds may affect your monetary
award. See www.gibill.va.gov for VA requirements
(except for Post 9/11 and dependents benefits, verification is
required each month on the WAVE system or by calling
6101 Grayson Drive
Denison, Texas 75020