Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy

All students receiving any type of financial aid at Grayson College must meet the standards of progress outlined below. The requirements for these standards are set by Federal regulations (34CFR 668.34).  Satisfactory progress requirements are:

  1. You must maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA), or;
  2. If your cumulative GPA is less than 2.0 you must be in compliance with your official academic plan to maintain probation status to continue receiving aid, and;
  3. You must successfully complete at least 67% of all Grayson College courses you attempt and;
  4. You may attempt no more than 150% of the total credit hours in your degree or certificate program.

At Grayson College, for financial aid purposes, being enrolled in a course for credit beyond the official Drop/Refund Deadline counts as an attempt. All courses taken at Grayson College, including those taken as part of another program of study, will be included in determining your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). For financial aid purposes, successful completion of a course means an earned grade of A, B, C, or D. However, a grade of "D" is "Passing below average".  All other grades (grades of F, I, & W) are considered unsuccessful completions and will impact your progress determination. The formula for calculating the completion rate is: total hours earned divided by total hours attempted. The resulting percentage must be 67% or greater. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will be evaluated at the end of each academic year.  If you do not meet the standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) due to your GPA or completion ratio, you will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension and will not be eligible for further financial aid at Grayson College. If you have attempted 150% of the hours needed for your Grayson College degree/certificate program (for most degree students this is 90 credit hours), you will no longer be eligible for financial aid.


You have the right to appeal a Financial Aid Suspension if you have special circumstances that affected your ability to meet the satisfactory progress requirements. Appeal forms are available in the Office of Financial Aid or can be downloaded from the website. Documentation of your special circumstances will be required. Appeal forms must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid by the Appeal Deadline printed on the form. If you are placed on Financial Aid Suspension and you do not have special circumstances or your appeal is denied, you may regain your eligibility for financial aid by bringing your Cumulative GPA up to a 2.0 or better and your Cumulative Completion Rate to at least 67% while taking no more than 150% of the credit hours needed for your degree. You will need to pay for the courses you take while under Suspension.